This project was a fun one. The people of The Guitar Gym in San Luis Obispo, CA have come up with a great way to teach guitar…without notes or reading music! Its brilliant, and patented! So, do’t think you can steal their ingenious! neener neener! Gian and Chris Minardi are the owners of the Guitar Gym and they have a lesson plan for their 7-12 year old students called “Island Rhythm and Blues” where they use an island/travel theme to help the students learn a Blues chord.
When they came to me, their “lesson plan” was a bunch of haphazard papers thrown into a folder. Their ideas are abundant but their knowledge of of design and organization is a little less abundant 🙂 So,I helped them create a cohesive lesson plan booklet using their methods and my oranization skills.
Project: Island Rhythm & Blues: Guitar workbook
Client: Gian Minardi, The Guitar Gym
- 8.5″x11″ workbook. Spiral bound for easy placement on music stands for playing guitar.
- Color coded chapters to help with navigation
- Each lesson chapter intro is an illustrated spread to introduce the new chord (character), and place the names of the chords with faces of children with whom the students can identify.
- Illustrations include: 3 chord characters: Bob, Alex, Ed; The spinner and scroll, passport for lesson completed stamp
- This project was my senior project in college in 2009, it can be viewed HERE
Below is a slideshow with the complete book for you to view, below the slideshow are a few single images: