February Creativity: Day Twenty Three….Take Risks
ok…..I take risks EVERY DAY by walking on the street in Istanbul…riding buses in Istanbul…taking taxis or ANY kind of public transport in Istanbul. Crazies I tell you!!! I put my life at risk trying to get from point A to point B.
Why don’t I get a car you say? Because I have an even higher risk of DYING from the crazies on the road! OMG! At this moment in my life the LAST thing I need is more risks..thank you very much!!
Its really hard to explain what really is happening with the transport around here, I wish I have taken pics of what I have seen…I was no so successful online so my words and this guys article will have to suffice. The guy in the article describes a few Turkish driving habits as follows (and I agree with every one):
- They don’t like indicators, traffic lights, paying attention to pedestrians, signals or road rules.
- They do like honking their horn, continuously. Even at police cars.
- They also like to randomly drive in reverse. If you are in the way, look out!
- Turkish drivers will also stop unexpectedly, presumably just to annoy you.
I would like to add:
- Any choice you make on the road is automatically Okay if you turn your hazard lights on. Even if you are going against the flow of traffic and on the sidewalk.
- Bus drivers on the phone….totally normal.
- Dolmuşes (mini buses) so full of people that the driver just leaves the doors open and people are literally hanging out of it. I see it everyday. I WISH I had a picture!
True story. Today….My husband and I are walking down the street. We cross the stree (legally with the green light and everything) and this guy in a van backs out randomly without looking, almost runs me over…my husband (who was a few steps ahead of me) kicks the van to get his attention and he looks and continues and I am almost smooshed. The driver backs out from the alleyway into the main street in the middle of the way, stops traffic, people are honking and getting irate…..and why does the driver do all of this? oh…to just pull back into the alley way!!!??? WHAT? ugggghhhh….
Don’t get me wrong…Turkey is AWESOME in SO many ways…but driving and transport efficiency? NOT one of them.
Some pics for your enjoyment:
This one happened just last week!
And this one is my ultimate favorite (you KNOW that guy on the bridge ate it big time 🙁 )….also note: the drivers continue to pass the wreckage!!!!
Need I say more? Until I leave Turkey…NO risks for me! hahah!
Stay tuned…TOMORROW: Break the Rules!
To see the full list go HERE.